gas saving tips
enter your postcode below to find a better deal on your power & gas
In addition to helping you make savings on your gas bills, Switchwise has thought of some easy ways to reduce your gas consumption and thereby save more money and help save the environment at the same time. Our tips to help you save gas are:
- Buy energy efficient appliances. All new appliances sold in Australia are given an energy star rating. Make sure you buy only appliances with a high rating. These include water heaters, ducted (central) heating and room heaters. Not only does this save gas but will save you money as well.
- Turn off gas heaters when you are not at home. Gas heats very quickly, make sure you are not heating empty rooms and wasting energy
- Get your ducted heating systems professionally sized and designed for each room. Off the shelf systems can be inefficient and use gas in excess of your requirements. Sizing heating systems correctly will result in long term savings
- Make sure your ducted heating system has a zoning system so you only heat the rooms you need, saving gas and money in the process
- Make sure your gas appliances are properly maintained to minimise leakage and maximise efficiency. Leaking gas is not only extremely dangerous but will add to your household bills
- Insulate the walls and roof of your home and use double-glazed glass to retain heat and thus use less gas. A well insulated home also helps ensure 24 hour comfort.
- Don't overfill pots and pans when cooking and only turn on your gas stove when you need it. Gas heats quickly and immediately. Heating in excess of your requirements will use more gas
- Pilot lights can cost around $25 per annum to run, systems with electronic ignition avoids the need for a constant flame and ignites as required.
- Make sure any thermostats controlling gas heating systems are optimally placed to manage the temperature and not placed in the colder areas of your home e.g. next to an external door