1. Why your privacy is important to us
Switchwise Pty Ltd (ABN 98 126 526 298) ("Switchwise", "we", "our" or "us") recognises the importance of protecting your personal information and must comply with the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth) including the National Privacy Principles.
2. How we collect information about you
If it is reasonable and practicable to do so, we will collect personal information about you only from you (rather than from someone else) and we typically collect such information from you via our website or over the telephone. For instance, we will collect personal information directly from you when you fill out an online application form to switch your energy retailer. You can assume that we collect and hold the personal information provided by you when using the Switchwise website or call centre including your name, postal and residential address, email address, the residential property owner's real estate agent contact details (if the relevant property is rented), telephone and fax number, date of birth, internet service provider address, username, password, password reminder, debit card, credit card, bank account or other payment details, drivers licence number or other identity verification details, marketing preferences and other information provided that all such information is necessary for one or more of our functions or activities including providing you with the services you require.
We may collect your personal information using sound recording devices over the telephone.
Website and cookies
Whenever you visit our website, switchwise.com.au, our servers may automatically record information about your usage of the website and the Services provided by Switchwise, such as the time and length of your visit and which pages you visit. We may also transfer cookies to your computer's hard disk. Cookies only identify your browser, not you personally. Most web browsers are set to accept cookies. However, if you do not wish to receive any cookies, you may set your browser to refuse them. In some instances, this may mean you will not be able to successfully use some or all of the Services.
If you participate in an online, mail or phone survey, the information you give is usually on an anonymous basis, or is subsequently aggregated on an anonymous basis. In any case, this information is used only in aggregated form unless we specifically tell you otherwise before or at the time we collect it, and you may always choose not to participate in such surveys.
We may use third parties to measure and analyse usage across our website. The analytics software we use may collect information on the following:
- the number of page impressions;
- the number of unique users;
- the average time spent by unique users on the website; and
- entry and exit points to our website.
This aggregated, non-personal information is collated and provided to us to assist in analysing usage of the Switchwise website. The data is also accessible by media organisations and research companies for the purpose of conducting industry comparisons with other internet sites.
We do not collect sensitive information about you unless you have consented to the collection of such sensitive information. "Sensitive information" includes information or opinion about such things as an individual's racial or ethnic origin, political opinions, membership of a political association, religious or philosophical beliefs, membership of a trade union or other professional body, criminal record or health information.
3. Why we collect information about you
Switchwise only collects your personal information if it is necessary for one or more of our functions or activities, such as to enable us to provide you with the Services. We collect personal information for the primary purpose ("Primary Purpose") of:
- providing the Services to you including providing you with information on the Retailers, and the services and goods offered by the Retailers;
- understanding your energy needs and preferences;
- disconnecting you from services or goods provided by a Retailer and connecting you to services or goods offered by another Retailer;
- billing and collecting debts;
- marketing our services to you and informing you of changes to the services we offer including by sending you newsletters or updates; and
- marketing Retailers to you including informing you of the services and goods offered by Retailers.
However, you have the right to opt out of any of our marketing activities.
Consequences if personal information not provided
If all or part of any requested personal information is not provided by you to us, this may affect our ability to provide the Services to you and, in such circumstances, we may refuse to provide you with the relevant Services.
The personal information we generally require in order to provide you with the Services includes:
- Your name and address;
- Your date of birth;
- Your contact telephone number and email address; and
- Identification information such as your driver's licence number or Medicare card number.
4. How we use your information
We only use and disclose your personal information for the Primary Purpose of collection and for secondary purposes related to the Primary Purpose of collection in circumstances where you would reasonably expect such use or disclosure, or if you have otherwise consented to the use or disclosure.
Switchwise may disclose your personal information to Retailers or other third party organisations in whose services or goods you have expressed an interest. We also engage third party marketing organisations and may use IT and email hosts based in other countries. Your personal information may be disclosed to such organisations.
Where your personal information is disclosed to a third party (such as a Retailer), Switchwise is not responsible for the conduct of that third party including with respect to the handling of your personal information and Switchwise cannot guarantee that the third party will handle your personal information in accordance with privacy legislation including the National Privacy Principles. The Retailer or other third party organisation may use your personal information to check your credit worthiness or to verify your identity.
Your personal information will also be disclosed where required by law.
5. How we keep your information safe
We take reasonable steps to ensure that the personal information we collect, use or disclose is accurate, complete and up-to-date. If you believe that personal information we have collected from you is inaccurate or incomplete, please contact us.
We store information in different ways, including in paper and electronic format. The security of your personal information is important to us and we take reasonable steps to protect it from misuse and loss and from unauthorised access, modification or disclosure. Some of the ways we do this are:
- requesting you to provide true, accurate, current and complete information about yourself;
- requesting you to update the information you have provided to us;
- if applicable, requesting you to keep your username and password confidential;
- training our employees on the appropriate handling of personal information;
- ensuring that our employees and contractors are aware of the confidential nature of personal information and enter confidentiality agreements with us;
- securely storing the personal information;
- using security measures in relation to our IT systems including using firewalls, IP access restrictions, passwords, limiting access to shared network drives to authorised staff and virus checking;
- only allowing access to personal information where the individual seeking access has satisfied our identification requirements;
- controlling access to our buildings; and
- destroying or permanently de-identifying personal information by secure means if it is no longer needed for any purpose for which the information may be used or disclosed under the National Privacy Principles.
6. How you can access the information we hold about you
You have a right to request access to personal information that we hold about you. However, in limited circumstances, we may refuse your request.
We may, in our absolute discretion, charge you for providing access to your personal information, however those charges will not be excessive and will not apply to lodging a request for access.
If you establish that personal information we hold about you is not accurate, complete and up-to-date, we will take reasonable steps to correct the information so that it is accurate, complete and up-to-date. However, if we disagree with you as to whether the relevant personal information is accurate, complete and up-to-date, you may request that we associate the relevant personal information with a statement that the relevant personal information is not accurate, complete or up-to-date. We must take reasonable steps to comply with your request.
Where we refuse to provide you access to your personal information or refuse to correct your personal information, we will provide you with our reasons for such refusal.
- have any issues you wish to raise with Switchwise in relation to the personal information that we currently hold about you (including correcting or updating your personal information);
- wish to request access to the personal information held by Switchwise about you; or
- wish to make a complaint;
please contact us by:
- E-mail: email@example.com
- Phone: 1300 867 948
- Post: Switchwise Pty. Ltd., Level 4, 457 St Kilda Road, Melbourne, VIC 3004
7. Links to other websites
We provide links from the Switchwise website to third party websites. These third party websites are not under our control and we are not responsible or liable for the conduct of any such third parties.
We recommend that you review the terms and conditions and privacy policies on these third party websites prior to using the relevant website or providing your personal information.
8. How you can learn more about your privacy rights
For more information about your privacy rights in Australia, visit the website of the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner at http://www.privacy.gov.au
Updated: 12 September 2011