If your property is located in Victoria and you enter both peak and off-peak usage amounts into our search form you will be presented with results that quote eight different tariffs - J, J6, J8, JT, Y6, Y8, YT and GH/GL. The highest end of the annual costs quoted on our search results table will always be for tariff GH/GL and the lowest costs for Y and J tariffs. The reason we do this is that it is not possible for us to determine exactly which type of electricity meter you have at your home. Unfortunately, your tariff code is no longer printed on your electricity bills so if you do not know what it is you will have to call your current power company to ask them.
Which one of the eight tariff codes applies to you depends upon the type of meter you have in your home, which is determined by exactly what type of appliance your off-peak electricity supply is connected to. Unfortunately, you cannot change the meter type or tariff code for your property - this is set by your local electricity distributor (a different company to your electricity retailer or supplier). To assist you to identify which tariff you might be on we have provided below a list of the tariff codes and what they are used for:
- Tariff Y6/YT - Off-Peak Load Managed Storage Water Heating - Supply under Tariff Y6 is available for 6 hours nightly for permanently wired water storage heaters of approved types meeting load management requirements.
- Tariff Y8 - Off-Peak Storage Water Heating - Supply under Tariff Y8 is available for 8 hours nightly for permanently wired storage water heaters of approved types.
- Tariff J6/JT - Off-Peak Storage Space Heating - Supply under Tariff J6/JT is available for 7 hours nightly plus 3 hours each afternoon for permanently wired storage space heaters of approved types where supply is taken in conjunction with Tariff Y6/YT.
- Tariff J8 - Off-Peak Storage Space Heating - Supply under Tariff J8 is available for 7 hours nightly plus 3 hours each afternoon for permanently wired storage space heaters of approved types, where supply is taken in conjunction with Tariff Y8.
- Tariff J - Off-Peak Storage Space Heating - Supply under Tariff J is available for 7 hours nightly plus 3 hours each afternoon for permanently wired storage space heaters of approved types, where supply is not taken in conjunction with a storage water heating tariff.
- Tariff GH/GL - Time of Use tariff formerly called ‘Winner’ tariff. Note that this tariff is unrelated to all the tariffs above as peak and off-peak are based upon time-of-day rather than a specific electrical appliance.
Thankfully, most electricity retailers in Victoria have moved to consistent pricing across all Y and J tariff types. This means that in most cases you will be charged the same off-peak rate regardless of which Y or J tariff you are on.