There are so many things to think about when you’re moving house, that it can be easy for something to fall off the list. Alongside physically preparing for the move, you may also need to notify a number of organisations about your change of address.
It may a good idea to have a Change of Address checklist, including a full list of all the organisations and companies that may need to know about your move.
Who to notify when changing address in Australia
Among others, here is a compilation of some of the main organisations and authorities you may need to make aware of your new address:
- Home and contents insurance company
- Car insurance company
- Life insurance company
- Health insurance provider
Vehicle companies, organisations and authorities
- Car registration and drivers licence authorities
- Roadside assistance company
- Toll road operators
- Mobile & fixed phone line companies
- Electricity provider
- Gas supplier
- Water company
- Internet service provider
- Pay TV company
Financial companies and authorities
- Banks and credit card companies
- Stockbrokers and fund managers
- Mortgage and personal loan providers
- Superannuation funds
- Australian Tax Office
Medical organisations, companies and authorities
- Medicare and the Childhood Immunisation Register
- Medical professionals (such as doctors, dentists, vet, and so forth)
- Ambulance subscription
Subscriptions and memberships
- Gym membership
- Loyalty and reward programmes (such as for airlines, supermarkets, shops, and so forth)
- Magazine and newspaper subscriptions and catalogues
- Memberships, clubs and associations
Other government organisations
- Australian Electoral Commission
- Local council
- Schools or child care providers
What Services Can Help?
There are plenty of moving services out there trying to give you a helping hand. Professional services may help take the load off during a hectic time.
Have you thought about enlisting the help of these professionals?
- Packers and unpackers
- Residential and Corporate Removalists
- Pet Relocators
- Corporation relocators
- Retirement movers
And of course don’t forget Switchwise! We may not be able to carry your boxes, but we can hopefully help you switch to a better energy deal in your new location, and we may be able to assist in connecting you up as well. Simply enter your new postcode into our energy comparison tool to find out if you can find a better deal.*
All information provided was correct as of March 2016.
*Switchwise does not compare every energy provider and every deal in Australia. In addition, sometimes not all plans that our energy partners offer are compared; the percentage of plans we are able to compare varies among energy providers and also depends on your property location.